The Taiwan-United States Sister Relations Alliance (TUSA) Summer Scholarship Program is an Ambassador program that launched in 2005. The annual program provides scholarship students from the United States a unique opportunity to improve Chinese language proficiency, appreciate global issues, and increase intercultural connections between the United States and Taiwan. TUSA Global Ambassadors are expected to act as goodwill advocates for both the United States and Taiwan wherever opportunities present themselves.
- Ideal applicants are American citizens with high motivation of learning and good moral character
- Full-time student at a U.S. college of university
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from college professors
- All levels of Chinese (Mandarin) proficiency are acceptable; there is no requirement of prior language experience
- Intensive Chinese Language Classes: Student will be divided into several levels depending on your Chinese language proficiency test
- Daily small group lecture and drilling class
- One-on-one personalized instruction class
- Conversation or Global Issues Discussion Class
- Classes taught in Hanyu Pinyin Romanization and traditional characters
- Cultural Courses and Activities: Hands-on experiences in traditional tea culture, Chinese cuisine, and Chinese medicine and etc.
- Cultural and Language Exchange: One-on-one language exchange with volunteer students of National Cheng Kung University, who will serve as liaison to learn Taiwanese culture and society
- Local Host Family Weekend and service learning in local community: Students will be given additional opportunities to interact closely with Taiwanese people, better understand important social issues and reinforce communication skills in various occasions.
To apply, you may use the online application no later than by March 31, 2018.