The British Embassy in Vienna is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a part-time Political Officer.
The successful applicant will contribute towards promoting the UK’s objectives in Austria. Covering a wide variety of domestic and EU issues, you will be expected to monitor and report on political developments, build and maintain a network of influential contacts, and take a lead role on energy and climate issues.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Information gathering, research, lobbying and reporting on EU and domestic issues, with a particular focus on climate change, domestic economic reporting, energy (and energy security), and agricultural policy;
- Developing relations with Austrian Government Ministries, Parliament, political parties, think tanks and other influential organisations;
- Reporting to the Whitehall Departments and other posts around the world;
- Arranging programmes for visiting ministers and officials;
- Developing, organising and delivering Embassy projects and events;
- Covering for Economic, EU Secretary as required;
- Other duties as required.
- Fluency in English and German (both oral and written);
- Education to graduate (university) level;
- Sound knowledge of Austrian political and economic issues;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong ability to develop and maintain influential networks;
- Demonstrated willingness and flexibility to work collaboratively in a team sharing a portfolio of political topics;
- Good research skills, plus the ability to write fluent and concise reports in English;
- Initiative and ability to work independently without close supervision;
- Effective time management and ability to respond to changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of current EU affairs, Energy, and Climate Change;
- Knowledge of UK policy-making and politics.
Application deadline: 30 January 2017
Other benefits and conditions of employment
- This is a local staff position in the British Embassy Vienna; it is not a diplomatic designated position. The position is subject to the terms and conditions of British Embassy employees.
- This is a part-time position of 5 days (17.5 hours net) per week. Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-in-lieu for extra hours worked. The annual leave entitlement is 25 days per year pro rata and the Embassy also enjoys 14 Austrian / UK public holidays per year and we are committed to ensuring a work / life balance.
- The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they are legally able to work in Austria. The Embassy is not able to assist with any visa or sponsorship arrangements.
- Monthly salary will be € 1,750 gross, payable 14 times a year for those liable for Austrian tax.
- Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions service according to Austrian employment law.
- Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
- We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
- Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.