The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s German Chancellor Fellowship Program is for university graduates from the United States, the Russian Federation, the People’s Republic of China, the Federal Republic of Brazil and the Republic of India with an interest in international issues and demonstrated leadership potential.
The program is targeted at accomplished young professionals who are likely to become decision-makers, thought leaders, and influential voices in their respective fields. Fellows will be recruited from a broad range of areas such as politics and public policy, law, media, business, the non-governmental and non-profit sector, and the arts. The program provides fellows the opportunity to spend one year in Germany, where they will network with other prospective leaders from abroad and explore new solutions to the global issues of our times. This prestigious program builds on Germany’s established and growing reputation as a favored destination for problem-focused international dialogue and a meeting place for tomorrow’s international leaders.
- Bachelor’s or comparable academic degree, completed less than twelve years prior to the starting date of the fellowship (October 1 of the year following application)
- Citizenship of the United States, the Russian Federation, the People’s Republic of China, the Federal Republic of Brazil, or the Republic of India
- Candidates from all professions and disciplines are eligible to apply
- Demonstrated leadership potential; applicants whose background is largely academic should also have gained some leadership experience beyond their own research activities
- Either English or German language skills
- A project plan (approx. 3 pages)
- A detailed host’s statement, including a confirmation of support
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to comment on the candidate’s professional, personal, and/or academic background
- Next application deadline: September 15 2017
- Register for the next round of applications online, which will open on March 15 2017
During their time in Germany, Federal Chancellor Fellows conduct independent projects at their host institutions. Through their experience in Germany, fellows will acquire greater knowledge of their fields, gain new international experience, and strengthen their intercultural competence – all essential qualities for future professional leaders.