2017 U-M Internship Opportunity
Topic: Analysis of Social Responsibility Practices of University Licensed Goods Supply Chain Survey Program
Call for Applications: Deadline January 31, 2017
Eligibility: U-M undergraduate (at least two years of completed college education), Graduate level students (Students graduating in Spring 2017 are not eligible)
About the internship:
Sumerra is a social auditing company that works with several universities, including the University of Michigan, helping them manage Corporate Social Responsibility in their supply chain.
Universities partner with Licensees to make university-logoed product. Licensees work with Suppliers to produce these products. Sumerra’s work includes conducting monitoring activities at suppliers who are making product for the Universities, as well as gathering data from Licensees who partner with Universities.
The data gathered from Licensees comes from the University Survey Program. The proposed intern project is to use the University Survey Program data to understand, at a deeper level, the licensees that are producing for Universities (both in general, and at the University of Michigan, specifically). The goal is to sort through this data to understand which type of licensee offer the most risk to the University(ies), and what are common factors, if any, may indicate that licensees may offer lower risks to Universities. In addition, this information may be overlaid with audit information and results to provide a more complete risk profile of Licensees.
The student will work in collaboration with the U-M President’s Advisory Committee on Labor Standards and Human Rights (PACLSHR), the University of Michigan Licensing office, and the Sumerra company. The internship will be located at the Sumerra headquarters in Portland, OR.
Suggested start date: May 15, 2017
Duration of internship: 10 weeks
Funding: Funding for this internship includes cost of travel to the internship site from U-M (DTW airport), lodging and a stipend
Desired qualifications / skills:
- Graduate student or Undergraduate student with at least two years of college education completed;
- Strong computer skills (office, outlook, ability to learn mapping software, etc.)
- Strong analytical abilities
- Ability to deal with a high quantity of data, turning that data into useful information
- General business understanding – successfully completing basic business classes would be beneficial;
- Interest in Corporate Social Responsibility/Human Rights/Worker Rights;
- Ability to communicate at a high level; Ability to track, manage and assess details
Application process: There are no application “forms” as such. Applicants are to submit materials by email to the
PACLSHRApplications@umich.edu. Enter “PACLSHR Sumerra Internship” as the subject line and do not include any additional text in the e-mail.
- An up-to-date CV/resume
- A 150-300 word statement in pdf format explaining your interest in this internship.
- Current transcripts. Wolverine Access (un)official copies are acceptable for this purpose.
Applications will be reviewed by a faculty subcommittee of the PACLSHR. The PACLSHR subcommittee may request a brief oral or written report at the completion of the experience.
Applicants are encouraged to email questions not answered in this announcement to: PACLSHRApplications@umich.edu