The International and Foreign Language Education (IFLE) office promotes the study of foreign languages, and the regions of the world in which those languages are used, at the elementary, secondary, and postsecondary levels in the United States. The office administers programs that provide some $72 million in federal support to increase expertise in foreign languages and area or international studies, primarily through grants to institutions of higher education.
We seek motivated students who are anxious to learn and work as part of our team during an unpaid full- or part-time internship during the summer, fall, and/or spring.
Potential duties of the intern:
- Write brief articles about how international experiences and/or learning a foreign language changed the life of a student, teacher, or other professional, for IFLE newsletter, Web site;
- Assist in producing short video(s) that capture the experience of grantees and fellows;
- Provide support for IFLE presence on social media (posts, tweets);
- Gather statistics from reliable sources pertinent to international and foreign language education and present them in easy-to-understand formats (e.g., infographics);
- Support staff in preparing for and running grant competitions;
- Gather data from our databases on grantee programs and projects;
- Assist in arranging meetings and webinars with grantees and other key stakeholders;
- Other related duties as required.
Required skill set:
- Strong academic background (college juniors and seniors or first-year graduate students);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; experience in managing social media;
- Good research skills with emphasis on internet-based research;
- Interest in education;
- Flexibility, initiative, and teamwork skills;
- Experience in learning a world language and international experience preferred;
- Video editing, graphic design and related creative skills desirable.
NOTE: You must be enrolled in an educational institution to participate in this program.
Available internship terms:
Summer, fall, and/or spring
Contact Michelle Butler at 202-453-6491 or email@example.com