This Internship is a non-remunerated post under the JPO Programme in the Talent Management Branch, Division for Human Resources at UNFPA Headquarters in New York. The duration of the Internship is 4-6 months staring as soon as possible – 6 months ideal. Full time (ideally).; unpaid.
UNFPA Strategic Plan and associated Business Model and the HR Transformation drive the mandate to enhance UNFPA Human Resource processes, services and culture and to enable delivery of the Strategic Plan.
UNFPA works with donor countries, including the engagement of nationals of these countries as Junior Programme Officers (JPOs) to provide them the opportunity to gain UNFPA experience, develop project management skills and build capacity. The JPO programme is integral to UNFPA operations and is coordinated by the Division for Human Resources (DHR)’s Talent Management Branch. UNFPA seeks an intern to work on projects within the JPO Coordination Office.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief, Talent Management Branch and the direct supervision of the JPO Human Resources Associate, the Intern will contribute to the development of client-oriented HR services and projects to support the JPO Programme.
A Workplan with outcomes for the duration of the Internship will be agreed upon. Regular meetings with the Intern, discussing processes and work-related outcomes will be held.
Tasks and responsibilities
Tasks and responsibilities will include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Develop and/or improve the JPO working tools;
- Set up a sustainable database for our JPO cohort;
- Support orientation for new JPOs (June);
- Support JPO Career Boot Camp for second-year JPOs (June);
- Support career development for JPOs;
- Assist in the development of Guidance Notes;
- Prepare background documents for official business and/or mission travel;
- Coordinate interview logistics for the JPO Programme; and
- Support ad-hoc activities in Talent Management Branch;
Qualifications and Experience
Interns should meet the following requirements:
- Active enrolment or completion of a university programme in human resources management, education, business, humanities or other related degree.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Flexible work attitude: the ability to work independently and productively in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, in particular, the ability to effectively communicate with people in a multicultural environment.
- Coursework on human resources theory and practice would be an asset.
- Google and MS Office Suites essential.
- Full web literacy, desktop publishing and graphic design software, and familiarity with video interview technologies an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Good working knowledge of French and/or Spanish an asset.
- Advanced writing skills; strong editing, revising, and proofreading skills would be an asset.
The internships is designed to complement studies in human resources management or related fields with practical experience. Upon completion of the assignment, and depending on its duration, the Intern should be able to:
- Increase project management skills, specifically in human resources management.
- Understand the purpose behind and dynamics of human resources management.
- Demonstrate the ability to work as a team member in a multicultural setting.
- Demonstrate increased understanding of UN development assistance, UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the UNFPA mission and mandate.
How to Apply
Interested candidates please apply to the following web page:
At time of application please quote “JPO2016-A” in your motivation letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.