The Yenching Academy provides full tuition plus a generous stipend to cover travel and living expenses for an 1-year master’s program in China Studies at Peking University in Beijing. The curriculum offers an intensive program of interdisciplinary classroom and field study of Chinese history and culture, as well as real time issues in China’s development. As a college integrated within China’s leading university, The Yenching Academy prepares a diverse group of up to 150 exceptional international and Chinese students with the knowledge of China that they need to fulfill their potential as global citizens and leaders.
Institutional Endorsement: The Yenching Academy does not require institutional endorsement; students may apply directly to the program. However, UM will send 13 endorsed candidates. See instructions below to apply for UM endorsement. Highly qualified applicants are strongly encouraged to pursue UM endorsement.
UM Nomination Deadline: Applications materials must be sent to Henry Dyson at email@example.com, LSA Honors Program, by the first Monday of January at 12:00 noon.
National Application Deadline: January 31st.
UM Contact: Henry Dyson, LSA Honors Program
1. Graduating seniors and new alums up to age 25. (You must be age 25 or younger in the year in which you accept the fellowship.) December and May graduates are eligible to apply.
2. Bachelor’s degree before the start of their fellowship year.
3. The Yenching Academy does not have a minimum GPA, however most successfully applicants will have 3.7 or higher GPA as well as significant co-curricular achievements.
4. U.S. citizenship is not required for this fellowship. However, citizens of the People’s Republic of China are not eligible to apply.
5. All majors or degrees are welcome to apply.
1. Students applying directly to the program should complete the online application on The Yenching Academy website including a personal statement of 750 words, an official transcript, and two letters of recommendation.
2. Applicants for UM nomination should email each of the following items to Henry Dyson by the first Monday of January:
○ A personal statement of no more than 750 words. The statement should include a brief personal introduction and the reasons why you wish to be a Yenching Scholar. (Please title the attachment LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_PersonalStatement)
○ A resume of activities or curriculum vitae. (Please title the attachment LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_CV)
○ Two letters of recommendation. Please provide your letter writers with a cover form available on The Yenching Academy website and ask them to send the forms and their letters as a single email attachment to Henry Dyson by the above deadline.
○ The UM nomination committee will select our official nominees in early January and work with these students to finalize and submit their applications before the January 31st national deadline.
UM nominees will be selected in early January and work with Henry Dyson to complete the online application before January 31st.
3. Finalists will be interviewed via Skype in February and final admissions decisions will be announced in early March.