The UN Young Professionals Programme is now accepting applications.
What is the UN Young Professionals Programme?
The United Nations is looking for highly qualified candidates who are ready to launch a professional career as an international civil servant. The young professionals programme (YPP) is a recruitment initiative that brings new talent to the United Nations through an annual entrance examination. For young, high-calibre professionals across the globe, the examination is a platform for launching a career at the United Nations. This programme builds upon the national competitive recruitment examination (NCRE) which was held for the last time in 2010.
Who is eligible to apply?
Interested applicants to the YPP must meet these criteria:
● Be 32 years or younger (by the end of the exam year).
● Hold at least a first-level university degree, such as a bachelor’s or other undergraduate degree, in one of the job families offered for that year.
● Be fluent in either English or French, the two working languages of the U.N. Secretariat (knowledge of other official U.N. languages is an asset).
● Be a national of a participating country. The list of participating countries is published annually and varies from year to year. The purpose of this policy is to recruit nationals of countries currently underrepresented in the U.N. Secretariat.
What types of positions are available?
YPP is open to applicants with different backgrounds and skill sets. Each job listing falls under a specific job family, which is part of a larger job network. While the application process runs until Aug. 23, 2015, each job family has a specific window for accepting applications:
● Administration: May 20 to July 19
● Finance: May 27 to July 26
● Statistics: June 3 to Aug. 2
● Public Information: June 10 to Aug. 9
● Social Affairs: June 17 to Aug. 16
● Legal Affairs: June 24 to Aug. 23
Qualified applicants will take the written test on Dec. 15, 2015.
Check out this Devex article for more application tips.
Check out the registration process and review other requirements here.